Monday, January 2, 2012

Writing Goals for the New Year

I have not set any New Year's resolutions for a long time, perhaps, because I'm continually setting and refining goals all year long.

However, having survived twenty-four particularly challenging months, with no relief yet in sight, January 1 seemed an appropriate opportunity to refocus, refine, and construct a writing plan for the ensuing three hundred and sixty-six days.

*  Scrap the notion that "fun" composition should be reserved for when I have time. If the past two years have proved anything, it's that I will never have time, if I don't consciously schedule time. Sounds simple, but when you're facing multiple deadlines, looming household tasks, crushing financial obligations, and two teens still requiring schooling, seizing even that lone hour feels, in the moment, anyway, feels cheap and irresponsible.

*  Immerse myself in literature of past centuries to develop a writing voice reflecting different eras and cultures, which I feel is important for Bryony's prequel. Good excuse for checking out books I've deferred for when "there's time."

* Assume additional editing and assessment projects to help cultivate the composition talents of other writers, even as I seek out and learn from the critiques of more polished authors, reporters, essayists, and bloggers.

*  And, most importantly, have fun! Sometimes, I'm so lost wading through haystacks of details and ticking minutes, I forget to enjoy the process.

What resolutions have you set for 2012?

No comments: